Client Questions

Below you’ll find answers to our most frequently asked questions specific to Clients.

For definitions to common terms mentioned, please review our frequently asked questions glossary.

Clients who have IPs will receive CDE services. Neither Clients nor IPs will pay a fee to use the CDE. Clients who must pay Client Responsibility will be notified of their duty to pay Client Responsibility. Client Responsibility will continue to be determined by the Client’s financial worker.

CDWA is developing a process to collect Client Responsibility from the Clients who are required to make these payments. Clients will pay their responsibility directly to CDWA rather than to their IP(s).

CDWA will work with Clients who are having challenges paying their responsibility. If the Client is unable to pay their responsibility, and after a notification period, CDWA will stop services to the Client. Case Managers will work with the Client to find alternative care. The IP who was serving the Client will continue to be an employee of CDWA. CDWA will assist the IP in finding a new Client.

DSHS and case management staff will continue to perform these tasks and will develop service plans for Clients.

After the assessment is complete, the Case Manager will authorize hours to CDWA rather than the IP. CDWA will work with the Client to allocate hours between multiple IPs if there is more than one. CDWA will help the Client manage work week limits and overtime utilization.

CDWA will sign the PCSP (DDA) or Service Summary (HCS/AAA) as the authorized provider of personal care.

The Client will decide how many hours they would like the home care agency to provide and how many the IP will provide. The Case Manager will authorize those amounts, separately, to the home care agency and CDWA.

Clients will receive a Client Service Agreement when they initiate services with CDWA. As the Medicaid provider, CDWA will be eligible to receive Client information if they choose the CDE option.

You will select, supervise, manage, and dismiss your IPs. CDWA will give you a form to fill out that helps you understand the duties as the managing employer. This form will be similar to the “Acknowledgement of My Responsibilities as the Employer of My Individual Provider” form that DSHS had you fill out.

CDWA will work with Clients to determine which tasks are assigned to each IP from the Client’s plan, including tasks that require nurse delegation.

There are some situations in which CDWA may choose not to provide services or stop providing services to a Client. These include:

  • The situation between the Client and IP does not support a safe plan of care and the Client is unwilling to choose a different IP.
  • The Client commits fraud or violates program rules.
  • The Client does not pay their Client Responsibility. CDWA will work with the Client or Case Manager for resolution to maintain care for the Client before stopping services.

CDWA will help resolve IP time disputes. Our goal is to help Clients and IPs resolve disputes informally. If necessary, we will support Clients to submit a formal complaint. If the Client has an IP through CDWA and a caregiver from a home care agency, the Client’s Case Manager may also get involved.

If there is a problem reported by you or your IP, CDWA will contact your Case Manager. In most cases, CDWA staff will not make home visits.

Clients will continue to receive services from their state-contracted IP until their changeover date. Ninety days before the phased changeover, CDWA will contact Clients with information about the Client’s roles and responsibilities as a managing employer, and about Client Responsibility, if applicable.

Yes. There will be no change in waivers due to the transition to the CDE. Questions about waiver eligibility should be directed to the Client’s Case Manager.